Reason for the Blog

I have set up this blog to discuss my trip to Kabul, Afghanistan. I am a volunteer with the GISCorps and have come to Kabul to teach the faculty at Kabul Polytechnic University and Kabul University GIS. My trip here started on July 3rd and my classes started on July 5th and will run until July 16th. Each day I hope to post my activities for the day and some pictures showing my trip. Since today is July 6th, I will create several posts that date back to my first days here until I catch up with the current date and then will post each day. Welcome to my journey, Carl Kinkade

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Last Day and Kabul Cough

Well, today is my last day in Kabul. I just returned from the Bearingpoint compound where I turned in my armored vest, helmet, and other supplies. I didn’t wear it once, other than modeling for the picture that I posted on the website. I did see other foreigners around town wearing them though and when I was in Camp Eggers there is a sign on the inside of the compound as you are approaching the gate to go outside that everyone is required to wear one…..no exceptions. Of course, while I was there I didn’t have mine and wasn’t wearing it.

I learned a new expression today, Kabul cough. Because of the fine dust here that everyone breathes in, it is common to get a cough and sinus infections. Yep, I have been coughing and coughing up phlegm for a few days so it has a name….that is good to know. The nice fresh air of Atlanta will be good to come home to or at least the dust free air.

This has been an interesting trip. I have met some new friends, experienced a new culture, have a better understanding of daily life in Afghanistan for both locals as well as foreign nationals, and have a better appreciation of the safety of home. I have traveled all over the world but I haven’t been in an environment like this where there is potential risk anytime you are outside.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years here. There are numerous foreign aid agencies here trying to assist the Afghanis but at the same time you have a strengthened and more active effort by the Taliban and other insurgents. Many people here appreciate the effort of the international community and the military….especially the faculty of the university. The Chair of the Faculty at Kabul University expressed his gratitude for the US military who has given them their freedom again from the Taliban. There are numerous stories of people who did heroic deeds to maintain Afghan history. I had dinner with a music professor at Kabul University who had buried all the music equipment during the time of Taliban, since they had banned all music…even pet birds, and left it buried until a year after the Taliban were pushed out of Kabul City to make sure it was safe to bring it out again. There are other stories of people hiding important pieces of art and documentation of history so that they would not be destroyed. Another story that has stuck with me is about one of the guards and custodians at Kabul Polytechnic University that I would see each day. He walks with a limp and the other day he showed me a scar on his head and his swollen knee. He told me that the Taliban had beat him because he did not grow a beard and the sad part is that he can not grow a beard. He doesn’t have facial hair. He has been at KPU for about 40 years and he limps around doing his job because of an inability to grow a beard. I know there are many mothers and fathers who have lost sons here in Afghanistan and probably question our role here. I would encourage them to come here and meet the people and hear the stories. Even though it will not bring back their son, they will see the impact the military presence has had and they will hear the appreciation from the people.

There are many sad stories here but the Afghan people seem to stay upbeat and look forward to the next day. When I think about the many petty things that happen in the states and sometimes immobilize work, I shake my head. I think this experience will have a lasting impression on me and hopefully help me to look past those petty things when that happens to me.

Okay. The armored car is here to pick me up so I am headed to the airport. Next stop….Dubai and then ATL.

7 comments:

walter said...

Hi Karl,

I very much enjoyed reading your blog - thanks for sharing. I recently worked with GISCorps on the Myanmar Phase 2 change detection work. I noticed in your getting to Kabul post you mentioned working with UNOCHA. If you don't mind sharing I'd like to hear more about your relationship with them and how you are able to work with them and participate in humanitarian deployments. I have applied for numerous UN positions as well as volunteer (e.g., GISCorps) and worked in Guatemala, etc., all in the hopes of breaking into the humanitarian field but with little success so far. I looked for an email address for you on your blog, but didn't find one. If you wouldn't mind continuing this conversation please email me at wsvekla[at]gmail.com.

Thanks!
-Walter Svekla

walter said...

Carl, please forgive my oversight and haste that resulted in spelling your name with a "K" and not a "C".

I apologize...

Verna said...

Hello Carl! I am a friend of a friend... I've known Jean J. for about 17 years or so. She sent me a note to visit your blog and I must say I have certainly enjoyed reading all about your adventures in Kabul. You write so well, your blog is very interesting. Do you plan any more 'excellent adventures'? I will certainly look forward to reading about those too. Do keep writing, as I said before, I think you are an excellent writer. Take care and GOD bless. Verna

Carl Kinkade said...

Thanks Verna for your compliments. I may be heading back to Myanmar this fall so I will definitely keep a blog about that trip this time. I didn't last time but wished that I would have.

Carl Kinkade said...

Walter,
Sorry. I just checked my blog again and saw your note. I will email you. I spent a month in Bangkok and Yangon working for the UN for the post Cyclone Nargis efforts and will be heading back this fall.

walter said...

Carl,

Sounds good - I look forward to hearing from you...

Thanks!

-Walter

Catherine Tramell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.