Reason for the Blog

I have set up this blog to discuss my trip to Kabul, Afghanistan. I am a volunteer with the GISCorps and have come to Kabul to teach the faculty at Kabul Polytechnic University and Kabul University GIS. My trip here started on July 3rd and my classes started on July 5th and will run until July 16th. Each day I hope to post my activities for the day and some pictures showing my trip. Since today is July 6th, I will create several posts that date back to my first days here until I catch up with the current date and then will post each day. Welcome to my journey, Carl Kinkade

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 7 in Kabul Part 1

I decided to break up Day 7 in to two parts because I am moving to a new location. So part 1 will be from my current guesthouse and part 2 will be from my new one. Up until now, BearingPoint has allowed me to fly under the radar on my trip here since it was only a two week trip and the logistics were being handled by GISCorps but because of the recent bombing and the threat of additional ones their security group would like me to be under the BearingPoint security. This morning one of the security guys came to visit me and inspected my guesthouse. He told me that they needed to move me for several reasons....the main one is that I am staying and working in the Red Zone. Up until now I have been traveling in a soft skinned car but they told me that the policy for any travel in the Red Zone is with a hard skinned (armored) car. So today I am going to teach as usual and travel with Jim to the university but then after class they will meet me back at the guesthouse to move me. After they move me, I will be traveling to and from the university with the security guys and their vehicle.

I have really enjoyed my stay at the guesthouse. The staff and food are great. I understand the need to move to a secure location but at the same time this has been a wonderful experience. I will write more later tonight after my move.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Carl- A friend from the GIS community forwarded a link to your blog. Welcome to Kabul! I spent 13 months there, returning to the US in Feb '08. The pictures bring back memories. Thanks for what you are doing and stay well.

Carl Kinkade said...

Thank you. After 13 months, you must have plenty of stories and it must have been a shock to return to the states.