Reason for the Blog

I have set up this blog to discuss my trip to Kabul, Afghanistan. I am a volunteer with the GISCorps and have come to Kabul to teach the faculty at Kabul Polytechnic University and Kabul University GIS. My trip here started on July 3rd and my classes started on July 5th and will run until July 16th. Each day I hope to post my activities for the day and some pictures showing my trip. Since today is July 6th, I will create several posts that date back to my first days here until I catch up with the current date and then will post each day. Welcome to my journey, Carl Kinkade

Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 5 in Kabul

Day 5 started out with a bang and I mean literally. I heard a loud noise that sounded odd and wondered if it was a bomb explosion. When Jim arrived to pick me up, he told me about the bombing and that it was on a road that we drove down on Friday. These are the things that worry you here. If you are at the wrong place at the wrong time, you are in trouble. One of the faculty members that I work with, had just driven past the spot of the explosion when it exploded and he saw it in the rear view. I asked him if he stopped to help and he said no, he took off as quickly as he could.

The GIS class went well today except that the power went out about two-thirds way through the class period so we had to stop. The students asked if we could start class early tomorrow to make up for today so tomorrow will be a longer teaching day. In addition, we were not supposed to have class on Thursday or Friday but they would like to continue the class on Thursday. Friday is the normal day off in Afghanistan so there won’t be any classes but the advance class will begin on Saturday and run until Wednesday.

Once Jim picked me up, we headed back to the guesthouse. The traffic seemed heavier than normal but we made it back without incident.

The news and discussion between everyone is about the bombing. 41 dead and 141 injured and the images from that area look horrible. The bomb destroyed that whole area. It is scary stuff.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do stay safe, Carl!