Reason for the Blog

I have set up this blog to discuss my trip to Kabul, Afghanistan. I am a volunteer with the GISCorps and have come to Kabul to teach the faculty at Kabul Polytechnic University and Kabul University GIS. My trip here started on July 3rd and my classes started on July 5th and will run until July 16th. Each day I hope to post my activities for the day and some pictures showing my trip. Since today is July 6th, I will create several posts that date back to my first days here until I catch up with the current date and then will post each day. Welcome to my journey, Carl Kinkade

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 2 in Kabul

Day 2 in Kabul was on a Friday. Friday's in Afghanistan are like a Saturday in the US....it is a day off so offices are closed and public places are packed. Jim and I decided to roam around a bit since no one was working so we headed to the Bagh-e Babur gardens. Well, we didn't actually go in since it was packed but we drove past it and then up behind it through the houses on the hill to a fort looking thing that has a couple old cannons. From this view point, we could see the entire valley and into the gardens from above. I have included some photos from it. It was a nice trip...a little concerning at times, since the roads through the homes on the hill are very tight and there is only one way in and out....so you feel a little vulnerable.

After our visit to the "cannon memorial", we drove through the markets near the garden. It was packed with folks shopping at street vendors since most shops are closed. Again it was a nice drive, but a little edgy since we didn't see any foreigners and people, of course, where looking at us.

From here, we drove around a bit and then headed to meet some of the faculty from Kabul University at one of their homes for dinner. The home of Sofi, the faculty member whose house we visited, is in some Russian made apartments that where on the front line in the Mujahideen civil wars and are riddled with bullet holes. The dinner was incredible...almost as much as we had at the wedding. We sat in a sitting room on cushions on the floor and ate from dishes served on the floor and had some great conversation.

After the dinner and talk, it was time to head home...about 10 pm. As we were driving back, we got stopped at a check point and the police asked for our passports. Jim told them that he did not have it with him but did have his ID. They demanded that he give them his passport and again he told them that he did not have it. This argument went on for a bit until the supervisor was called over and it started again. At this point, Jim decided to just take off which he tried to do but two police officer's with AK47s stepped in front of us and stopped us. Again the conversation continued but when the police officer step from the front of the vehicle, he then took off. The police officer on my side raised his weapons but luckily did not shoot and they didn't follow us.

We made it safely back to the guesthouse and I was a bit relieved to be back in my room even though there is nothing to do but stare at the wall.....but I was safe.

So ended my second day in Kabul. For only having been here for two days, it seems a like I have seen and experience a lot.

No comments: