Reason for the Blog

I have set up this blog to discuss my trip to Kabul, Afghanistan. I am a volunteer with the GISCorps and have come to Kabul to teach the faculty at Kabul Polytechnic University and Kabul University GIS. My trip here started on July 3rd and my classes started on July 5th and will run until July 16th. Each day I hope to post my activities for the day and some pictures showing my trip. Since today is July 6th, I will create several posts that date back to my first days here until I catch up with the current date and then will post each day. Welcome to my journey, Carl Kinkade

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 8 in Kabul

Well Day 8 started with a security briefing. A security vehicle picked me up at my new digs and took me to the BearingPoint security office. The security vehicle pulls right up to the gate and once it is there, they open the door and after that door is open, they open the gate from the hotel compound and I walk a couple steps and I am in the vehicle....no long walks and lots of armed folks around.

I got a security briefing on the country and was given a security pack that consists of a armored vest, helmet, cell phone, and hand radio amongst other things. So I am well protected and connected now. Just think, day before yesterday I was walking around in slacks and no radio......and drove around in a normal vehicle....what was I thinking. :)

Since the university is in the Red Zone, they drive me there in an armored vehicle and they drive me right up to the door at the building where I teach. When they drive the vehicle, they don't mess around. They swerve all over and keep moving. Don't stop in front of us.....or else...

Class went well today. We finished the introduction to ArcGIS I class and on Saturday we will start the 3D analyst and modelbuilder class. A week from today, I will be heading back to the states. I can't believe that a week has already sailed by.

I have been invited to another wedding party on Sunday but I don't think the security group will let me go. I have been given a list of acceptable places and it is pretty limited.

Well....time to do some work. I am having drinks with one of the iMMAP guys (I worked with iMMAP in Myanmar) tonight and then at 9:30 pm I have a BearingPoint conference call.

1 comment:

John Stinn said...

That picture with you in the vest and helmet is perfect for your negotiations with GRASP!