Reason for the Blog

I have set up this blog to discuss my trip to Kabul, Afghanistan. I am a volunteer with the GISCorps and have come to Kabul to teach the faculty at Kabul Polytechnic University and Kabul University GIS. My trip here started on July 3rd and my classes started on July 5th and will run until July 16th. Each day I hope to post my activities for the day and some pictures showing my trip. Since today is July 6th, I will create several posts that date back to my first days here until I catch up with the current date and then will post each day. Welcome to my journey, Carl Kinkade

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 13 in Kabul

Sorry that I have not provided an update in the last couple days. I didn’t get back to my room until late the night before last and then yesterday I got sick so I didn’t do much yesterday night. I had lunch with the faculty at the university, see picture in the picture gallery, and I think I ate something bad. I started feeling sick during my class yesterday and then by the time I got back to my room, I had a fever, body aches, and then threw up. So all night I had body aches and fever but today I felt a little better….kind of like having a bad hang over but now I feel much better. So whatever it was, is gone….I hope.

My last class was today and it went well. At first I thought that the students were going to skip the class. The class is supposed to start at 1:00 and the first student showed up at 1:30 and the rest about 2:00. But it went well and we made it through all the material. They were a fun group and very interested in GIS.

One of the things that I found interesting is the way the sheep graze in Kabul City. Around the city you see sheep being moved around the city but you don’t see much for them to graze on. The Afghanis will dump their garbage in a common pile around various neighborhoods and the sheep eat it. So when you drive around town, you will see the sheep in garbage piles.

I have really enjoyed this experience. The Afghan people are wonderful and I can see why there are many ex-pats living here even though there is danger. I think this would be a wonderful place if the fighting could end but right now it is a little tough for a foreigner. You have to really want to be here and accept the risks that come with it.

Tomorrow I fly out. I will go to the airport in an armored car and then fly to Dubai where I will hang out until 2330 and then a straight flight to Atlanta….arriving there at 0645. I am sure I will be very tired this weekend but happy to be home. It will be nice to see everyone.

Thank you GISCorps for allowing me to support Kabul Polytechnic University and Kabul University…this has been a great experience.

No comments: